Which states are legal to pass turning vehicles on shoulder

What bugs you most about other drivers? Sound off here. It's the next best thing to being there!

Which states are legal to pass turning vehicles on shoulder

Postby lou » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:44 am

Out of curiosity, can anybody compose a list of states in the union that are legal or illegal to drive on the shoulder of a 2 lane road (1 lane each way) to pass left or right turning vehicles? Here is what i know and if for some reason if im incorrect, my apology.

Note: NJ is legal and i am 201% on that!
Same with NC too, on the illegal part!

Following States that I presume its legal:
Maryland, Delaware, Pennslyvania,*New Jersey*, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts

Following States that I presume its illegal:
North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida

The following that I do not know:
District Of Columbia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky

Besides the curiosity of knowing this, it would help the most for the travelers on I-95 going south of Maryland and other interstates leaving the Northeast and Mid Atlantic states. In Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach for instance, the ocean road with the oceanfront resturants, amuzement parks, etc have a shoulder on the right but it is only used for buses and right turns only.
lou

Definitely NOT legal in NJ

Postby SkyDude » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:51 pm

In NJ it is definitely NOT legal to use the shoulder or ANY part of the roadway on the on the right side of the painted white shoulder line to pass another vehicle that is turning left.

I know, since I got a ticket for this many years ago and did the research on the laws back then.

If you got away with it, it's because noone saw you or wanted to bother you for it. I have done this many times, and many times other people expect you to pass a turning car on the right, but one time a cop was behind me and nailed me for it.

You are allowed to pass on the right in NJ if you are in a line of traffic that is going faster than the line of traffic to your left, OR if you are passing a vehicle that's turning left, BUT you're NOT allowed to go over the white line on the right when passing.
SkyDude

Postby lou » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:32 pm

Im not agreeing or disagreeing what your saying but thats really hard to believe. So, basically, it is LEGAL to pass turning vehicles when theres no painted white line on the right. I thought the shoulder was considered an auxilary lane to pass vehicles (in the north i mean). I am going to find out information on this (for NJ and maybe other states), this is def an eye opener for me.
lou

NJ Law

Postby SkyDude » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:21 pm

The NJ law reads that you can not go off the regularly traveled portion of the highway to pass on the right, then further refers to some old case where they specify that means you can not go over the white line on the right, or off the paved portion.
SkyDude

Breakdown lane passing

Postby anony » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:49 pm

In Mass I-95/128 allows use of the breakdown lane during certain hours of the day.
anony

Postby lou » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:01 pm

Dangerous! the breakdown idea should be gone in Mass since it takes away safty along an interstate. If theres a disabled vehicle or accident, where can you move? An enbankment.

Also I-66 in northern Virginia should be ashamed too with the breakdown idea
lou

NJ Exceptions for busses

Postby SkyDude » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:02 am

NJ allows buses only to ride on the Eastbound shoulder of US22 near Mountainside. I guess this speeds them up. This would be approaching where the last traffic light is on US 22 East. NJ also used to allow people to drive on the shoulder of US1, during rush hour only and before it was expanded. In each of these locations there were large signs posting the rules. Another place was on US9 by Ernston Rd, buses were allowed on the shoulder, but now that area is six lanes wide at least.
SkyDude

Postby lou » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:38 pm

US 1 and US 9 through Middlesex County? I did not know that!!!!!!

Now of course, US 1 is 6 lanes where in Edison, theres no shoulder (i can see it being once 4 lanes with a shoulder, i can picture that). Woodbridge and towards Newark, its 6 lanes but you have your 4 lane segments at the olddddd bridges (Elizabeth, Rahway).

South of CR 514 (woodbridge ave) in edison, it has right shoulders all the way to PA where its 6 lanes through New Brunswick and North Brunswick, 4 lanes in South Brunswick, 6 lanes through Plainsboro, West Windsor and Lawerenceville. Trenton Freeway is 4 lanes.

Your right skydude, it is now 6 lanes on US 9 around Ernston Road. From US 1/9 in Woodbridge to the NJ 18 freeway, it is 6 lanes. Once you enter Monmouth County, its 4 lanes to Lakewood then down to 2 lanes basically to Cape May (really really should be 6 lanes all the way to Dover Twp at the Garden State Parkway!). Around the Ernston Road exit is basically a jersey freeway (no lights, no left turns). Basically your moving without a light from US 1/9 to Perrine Road in Old Bridge (just past the NJ 34 SB only exit if your going US 9 SB).
lou

Postby lacota » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:20 pm

Yes, Massachusetts allows use of breakdown lanes during rush hours, but not all breakdown lanes. Also, it depends on time of day & the direction of the rush. Didn't you know, it's safe to run the breakdown from 7am to 10am & 3pm to 7pm. Not safe any other hour. I-95/128 & I-93 have these miraculous changable lanes. I hope only here in MA is the only state to do this.
lacota

Clarification

Postby SkyDude » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:38 pm

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I said NJ USED TO allow shoulder driving on certain parts of US 1 & US 9. US 1 down by Trenton and Princeton used to have this before they got widened, and it was during rush hour only. That was for any vehicle.
US9 by Ernston Rd USED to be allowed for busses but that got widened too.
So I think US22 by Mountainside for busses only is the last place I know that still allows this.

As far as the US1&9 overpass/viaduct in Elizabeth, that is slated to get rebuilt and widened to 6 lanes quite soon, this year I believe. You can look up the NJ STIP online for projects like this.

As far as changeable lanes, there's the middle lane on the Tappan Zee Bridge, which changes to either direction by what we call the "zipper" barrier that gets moved sideways. Also the Lincoln and Midtown Tunnels have bus lanes in the morning going into NYC that are the left lanes of the outbound direction at all other times.
SkyDude

Return to Sound Off!