Alternate route to Florida

Ask about or share your short cuts, alternate routes and side trips with fellow road warriors here.

Alternate route to Florida

Postby tdeeork@yahoo.com » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:22 pm

We are seniors who find I95 dangerous to drive to Florida with the Trucks and other speeders who talgate and have no road courtesy. Would aoppreciate information about alternate routes available to Florida. Tampa or even to Jacksonville. Thanks.
tdeeork@yahoo.com

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:27 am

From where are you departing???Iam sure someone will be able to assist you

Postby guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:34 am

If you are in the DC area or points north of it, have you looked into the auto train?

Postby guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:38 am

I forgot to add that even Floridans are afraid of I-95 it seems that north of West Palm the average speed is between 80-95 mph. Further south the cars do not come with directional signals.

Postby lou » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:58 pm

If time is not an issue to get to Florida, there are plenty of paralleled roads that are at slower pace with more considerate motorists than I-95.

US 1 (supplemented with I-85 through southern Virginia if desired)

With the exception of the cities it goes through, it provides a good alternative Washington and south. South of Petersburg, it parallels I-85 which ive driven recently, it moves well and goes through few towns. As your in NC, for 90% of the route it moves VERY well with the exception of Raleigh and some of the slow pokes in Richmond County on the 2 lane segment. SC and GA, you will be driving MUCH more and spending A LOT of time driving because it dosent go due south to florida since it curves around GA.

US 13 (DE, MD,VA) via US 17 (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL)

The best alternative since it goes along the coastline with many places to stop and see. Most of the road is 4 lanes (13&17 do bypass many towns) with the majority of the 2 lane segments in NC between Jacksonville and Windsor and again between Colleton County and I-95 in the low country of SC. The SC segment though has passing lanes unlike NC, there arent any.

US 301 - Between Petersburg and Jacksonville, FL.. you could follow this route as it parallels I-95 through the south. Passes through too many towns though and you'll be averging 45/50mph with 95% local traffic.

Your starting point and ending point makes a difference on giving proper travel advice.
lou

alt I95 rtes to fl

Postby tdeeork@yahoo.com » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Thanks to all who answered. Sorry could not get back on sooner due to family illnes. If anyone has done this trip recently I'd appreciate details. Such as rtes that parallel I95 and when you have to get back on to 95 of necessity, best places to stay over for about 3-4 nites. Thanks.
tdeeork@yahoo.com

i95 alt

Postby tdee » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:24 pm

Forgot From NYC to Tampa
tdee

Postby lou » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:41 pm

Ok, from the city to lets say Northern Virginia:

You can start off on US 1 from Newark, go down it all the way to the Washington Beltway. I would not recommend US 1 inside DC unless you do not care about getting lost since the signage is very inconsistent. Baltimore is also iffy too. US 1 in NJ is aggresive (just like any road) as well as Philadelphia but south of that, tends to calm down more and more heading south of Philadelphia.

That's about it from the northeast

US 301 is a great road between Jacksonville and Gainesville. 65mph, 4 lanes and not that many cars unlike I-95. Be sure to map out where you'll get off at US 301 at some point to wehn you get back on I-75. Its been almost five years since I've done this route now. I did FL 24 I believe from I-75 to US 301 to the southeast of Gainesville I believe. On a personal note, I'm likely going down to Tampa and Port Charlotte areas this coming spring break (next week). wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
lou

alternate route to Florida

Postby tdeeork@yahoo.com » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:06 pm

Thank you Lou
tdeeork@yahoo.com

Several years ago

Postby SkyDude » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:17 pm

Back in my college days I drove NY to Florida before much of I-95 even existed. It was only built in several pieces here and there and most of the trip was on other US highways.

US 1 does actually run from the Canada/Maine border all the way down to the Southern tip of Florida at Key West, but I think there are other roads such as US 40, 301, 17 and others that also go in this direction.

My suggestion would be to look at it in detail on as many different online map sites as you can find and get a feel for it.

From NYC I would come out and go over the Skyway (US 1&9) then I'd get on I-78 West to 287 South and US 202 into PA then maybe wind down the very scenic River Rd (PA32) down to I-95 or US 1 and head South. That's usually a stress free way to get you going, but then I do know where the turns are since I've been all over these roads a gazillion times.

I've taken both US 1 & US 40 through Delaware & Maryland for a change of pace, or by neccesity if 95 was jammed on a summer Friday afternoon or by an accident. US 40 is part of the early cross country National Road. Lots of nice scenery and places to stop or things to look at and the pace is slower with mostly local traffic.

After that I'd have to tell you to fly over it on the computer and see what makes sense.
SkyDude

Next

Return to Are We There Yet?