Propane restrictions on I-95?

RVing down I-95? Join fellow travelers here and discuss RV and camping related issues...

Propane restrictions on I-95?

Postby jsecreto@aol.com » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:31 am

I am planning to travel from NY to Myrtle Beach. I will be pulling a camper with prpane tanks. Are there any tunnel or Bridge restrictions?
Thanks
jsecreto@aol.com

Postby aldebnj » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:53 am

There are propane restrictions on the lower levels of the NY bridges and the tunnels under the Hudson. Propane is also prohibited in the two Baltimore Tunnels (Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor). At Baltimore you can take the I-695 beltway either direction to get as an alternate. Westbound takes you through rolling hills and Eastbound takes you over the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

Hope this helps,
Al
aldebnj

i-95 propane

Postby jk31668 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:30 pm

there seems to be some controversy re propane in the baltimore tunnels.

i was informed by the md state police that the prohibition on propane only applies to large amouts of more than 50 gals. and that less than that is ok as long as the valves are shut off.

others tell me that no amount is permitted (non police)

i went thru the tunnel last spring in my small rv and was not stopped or questioned at the toll booth so...

f.w.i.w.
jk31668

Postby RocklandRVers » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:52 am

It is confusing and depending on who you speak to you get many different answers.

I rarely use my propane. Since I bought the RV new in 2002, I have had the propane filled once when it got down to 1/4. It still has 3/4 left now. The tanks are always off and are tucked back under the frame rails of the motorhome. In my judgement they are safe. Given that I go through the Baltimore tunnels unless traffic forces me to use an alternate.

My question has always been what difference does a propane BBQ tank make compared to a propane powered car or truck that carries 5 - 10 times more? If you rear end one of those the explosion would be much larger than if a BBQ tank ruptured.
RocklandRVers

Postby snowdog » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:55 pm

You can read about other peoples experiences on this forum www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/t ... 489600.cfm or read the actual Maryland laws about it www.mdisfun.org/planning_a_md_visit/transportation.asp
snowdog

Return to Camping & RVing