FL-NY Friday Night, Saturday morning trip..suggestions?

Ask about or share your short cuts, alternate routes and side trips with fellow road warriors here.

FL-NY Friday Night, Saturday morning trip..suggestions?

Postby Samrai » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:06 am

I posted in the construction and traffic section and thought I would post here. Unfortunately I have to do the overnight trip to get up to NY quick and I will assume (although one should never with I-95) that judging by the lack of chatter over the forum, I will have a relatively congestion free, construction free trip on the way up. Any concerns I should be aware of? My next question, is how about for avoiding some tolls? Any easy alternates or suggestions? I read some older posts but I was looking for some fresh opinions. I am going to my house on the Queens/Nassau Co. border on Long Island. I leave in three days. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
Samrai

Re: FL-NY Friday Night, Saturday morning trip..suggestions?

Postby charko » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:22 am

Take the cheapest flight you can find on the net. It dosen't pay with the price of gas to drive up just for a weekend. You may be able to find 2 one way fares on different airlines cheaper than a round trip. It's not just the construction you have weather & car accidents to factor in.
charko

Re: FL-NY Friday Night, Saturday morning trip..suggestions?

Postby Samrai » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:05 pm

You are right about the flying and the hazards with driving. I have been looking for a few weeks. I wish I could take a flight, unfortunately one way flghts have been quite expensive, even with considering different carriers; Even the semi-reasonable ones are at airports that are at least 1.5 hrs away from me. (Jacksonville which is almost in GA, and Orlando ) Any savings I make would be negated in the travel to the airports both in gas and in parking fees. The nearest airport to me, Daytona Beach has not really become accustomed to the term affordability. Delta pretty much has the lion's share of flights into and out of there. Also, with the holiday weekend, prices are not too great. I am also traveling with an animal, so that would add about 75 bucks to the bill, at last check according to Delta. I do not have too many options. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just pray to the travel gods that all is smooth. :lol: Any other feedback is welcome. Thanks again for replying charko.
Samrai

Postby snowdog » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Not sure why you would want to avoid the tolls, the toll roads are the quickest and most direct route and from Baltimore to New York its pocket change at around $10?. Good choice on driving through the night as you wont have any traffic problems. Have a safe trip!
snowdog

Postby Samrai » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks for the well wishes Snowdog....your right...the most direct route and the most consistent route on my trips, the few tolls I pay are not worth the hassle of avoiding. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)
Samrai

Postby lou » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Be sure to fill up in NJ if you are traveling. If your lucky, south jersey is under $2 in some places but thats off the turnpike & I-295.
lou

A Few Things

Postby SkyDude » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:12 pm

First off, hey avoiding tolls is downright American like apple pie.
You can avoid the Delaware one fairly easily by jumping off the last exit in MD and taking a few local roads to the next exit in DE. Since that toll went up to $3 it might be worth a few minutes going around the block.
The other thing you can do is to not get on the Jersey Pike until exit 7A (I-195) then jump off at Exit 10 for NJ440/I287. 440 at that point would take you into Staten Island over the Outerbridge Crossing. The Verrazzano is toll free in the EAST direction towards Brooklyn & LI (while being $9 WEST). On the way back South you could take the LIE/BQE, Willy, Holland Tunnel, NJ139 US1&9, GSParkway to the Pike at Interchange 11, then jump off at 7A for I-195 and head to PA avoiding the rest of the Pike and the Del Mem Br tolls. Toll free from Long Island to NJ that way too.
SkyDude

Postby snowdog » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:50 pm

Avoiding tolls is a good idea if you know the area and know where you are going on those local roads but if you are not familiar with the area you can end up spending more on gas as you get lost in some unfamiliar area than you would have paid for the toll,dont ask me how i know :wink:
snowdog

Postby Samrai » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:18 am

Well I made it to NY safe and sound guys. Thanks for all the input. The trip was relatively smooth with no hold ups ANYWHERE AT ALL. Man was I happy I was not going into Jersey via ANY crossings. Accidents and construction limiting more than one route from 3 lanes to one. And you have to love NYDOT as the "Roving" pothole repair crews were out and about to fill 2400+ potholes (according to 1010 WINS AM station) causing back ups and practicing good observation techniques as one man fills a hole, while the other ones watch--only to have to probably go back next week and fill a hole again since that quick asphalt doesnt really hold much when u dont pack it in and just "fill" the hole up. That's job security though :lol: THey were in staten island but I didnt encounter any. The Belt pkwy west bound: one word: NIGHTMARE. I moved relatively smooth on the east bound side. All in all a good trip. Long but uneventful. The way I like it. I am not particularly looking forward to the return tommorrow morning but this trip had to be done under these circumstances.

My thanks again to all of you who replied with your feedback. I will take it all in as I evaluate my return route. In all my years living here, I have never travelled through the Holland Tunnel or via the route Skydude mentioned. I guess I never had anything going on that took me that way. I may have to experiment--Skydude is it an easy route to get lost?

Let me evaluate a few things I noticed on the trip:

Gas: My car is a Subaru WRX so it requires premium fuel. I filled up at Flying J in GA, Exit 29 (2.28 gallon for Premium), Flying J in SC, Exit 180 or 181 (2.26 gallon for premium) and then the WAWA in Fredericksburg VA at Exit 130 (2.37 gallon for premium) I got off the exit in So. VA to look for a WAWA but the sign was misleading. THere was nothing right off the exit and appeared it was off the beaten path and I did not want to drive too far to find it

For those travelling and lucky enough to use regular fuel, it was between 2.11-2.19 at these stops I used. I saw gas advertised in SC and GA for as low as 2.07 at Petro stops and possibly a TA truck stop. GAS IN NC is not a suggestion. Fill up before you enter or right as u enter SC. Gas on the NJ Tpke was a respectible theft price (in comparison to what normal NJ prices are) of 2.19, 2.31 and 2.41 respectively for regular, plus and premium. As always, I beleive NJ and NY follow the same rules on their thruways and NY even advertises this savings to consumers. The sign reads something like this: "LOWER GAS PRICES IN EFFECT" to which I usually respond with "BULL#$%^" when I see that sign.

TRAFFIC: The trip was a bit rough in the wee hours of the morning when I was in NC. Thats when I started to feel a bit weary. I did notice a much heavier amount of traffic heading south bound during the overnight. That was a bit strange. My side was pretty much desolate. There were not as many trucks as there were on previous overnight trips. They started around 8AM.

COFFEE: First cup was from a HUDDLE HOUSE in SC. Brand new pot. I waited for the waitress to brew it. Not the greatest but then again, I didnt have coffee Friday morning so I was going to enjoy it regardless. It got better as I drank it. Second cup from Flying J on fill up in SC. One word: TERRIBLE. I think next time I will bring a coffee maker and just strain it through my sock. It would probably taste better. WAWA was the final cup and at that point I was starting to get physically tired (not really sleepy) and didnt want anymore coffee. WAWA on the return will be a 2 cup job as I have my trusty travel mug that plugs in to the cigarette lighter to keep coffee hot. By the way, the WAWA in Md I spoke about previously is in Bel Air, MD at Exit 67 B. Thats the first one you will hit going southbound.

TOLLS: Apparently the MD toll is up to 5 bucks on their stretch of the PIKE? I was a bit annoyed with that. THen the 3 buck toll in DE, as well as the Bridge. Not sure how much the NJ tpke is on/off from start to exit 10 and the outerbridge was prob 4 bucks. THIS IS WHY I HAVE TO CONSIDER SKYDUDE's ALTERNATE or anyone else's for that matter. I am not paying 9 bucks for the Verrazano. This state took enough from me when I lived here. I thought tolls were invented to pay for the roadway repairs and for the costs of building these bridges. They apparently are easier to use as a souce of income, but I digress.

I think I should probably bring this novel to an end and let you go get another cupo of coffee if u are reading this in the early morning. If its evening, go get another beer and get me one too :lol:

I wll be stopping overnight in Florence, SC at the comfort inn. I hope it is uneventful as well. I usually stay at the sleep inn but it was more money so I figured I would try the other brand. I will review that in lodging in a few days. I will also give an update on gas for the south bound trip. Happy travels.

Suggestions for the return are welcome. I leave 5am tomm morning.
Samrai

Postby Samrai » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:47 pm

Back in FL safe and sound.

I reviewed the Comfort Inn in Florence. Check the lodging section. Thanks again all who offered up some advice. I used the 295 approach in jersey on the way home and will be using some suggestions on the way up next time. I left before I got a chance to read the posts.
Samrai

Return to Are We There Yet?