Has Anyone Tried The Alternate Route Around DC?

Ask about or share your short cuts, alternate routes and side trips with fellow road warriors here.

Has Anyone Tried The Alternate Route Around DC?

Postby deerlander » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 am

I wonder if anyone has tried the alternate route around DC and Baltimore that is listed here on the site in the "Alternate Routes" link at the bottom of the page. This uses US 301 from Richmond to Elkton, MD just short of the Delaware state line.

I am going from NC to NY for Thanksgiving, and considering this since the 95 is sure to be packed around these two large cities.

If anyone has info, please let me know.

Thanks
deerlander

Re: Has anyone tried the alternate route around DC?

Postby snowdog » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 am

Depending on what time of day/night you'll be going through Wash/Balt it could be faster by staying on I-95 as the 301 goes through dozens of small towns with many traffic lights and potentially dangerous intersections,to me 301 or I-95 is six of one half a dozen of the other,if you have to pass through the cities at rush hours 301 is the better option.
snowdog

Postby Duende » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:11 pm

I have gone 301 around DC, but I got back on at Baltimore at Rt 895. I don't recall what the intervening road is, but going this route kept me away from DC traffic, while minimizing the amount of time spent at redlights. It's too bad there is no reliable way to get a feel for DC traffic until one is there. Rush hour is usually bad, but anytime can be bad.
Duende

Postby HalifaxTraveler » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Interesting. I am going to NC in May. I actually plan on staying right in DC for 2 nights. I figure I'll arrive in DC late Sunday afternoon to early Sunday evening on May 23rd. I plan on taking the BW Parkway(MD295)into DC. I have a hotel on Rhode Island Ave. Can anyone give me any insite as to what the traffic might be like on a Sunday afternoon? Thanks.
HalifaxTraveler

Postby JamesAnthonyGreen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:30 am

My family and I always traveled down U.S. Route 301 to avoid Washington, DC traffic. We usually picked it up from Baltimore routes I-895 and then I-97 south. But since my twin sister recent moved down to Lanham, MD, we now pick up Route 301 southbound from Maryland route 214 after leaving her domicile near MD Route 193.
JamesAnthonyGreen

Postby cafcafmom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:10 pm

We have taken it a number of times and like it. We usually leave NJ around 1:00 or 3:00 pm because that is when our kids get out of school before holidays. We have tried staying on 95 and always hit really bad traffic. At some points on 301 there are a lot of lights but at other points there aren't any. The ride is very pretty and with kids we would rather move slower then not at all.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
cafcafmom

Postby ccradio » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Right, this is the key. You won't save a pile of time (that is to say, you won't save any), but at least you'll have a feeling of forward movement even if you're dealing with lights. What's more, you have the option to bail out from time to time to walk around, get food/drink, use the rest room, etc.

ETA: I forgot that taking this route does add one more toll to your trip as you cross from MD into VA. The toll is $3; they do take EZ-Pass but there's no EZP discount. This may be part of your consideration.
ccradio

Return to Are We There Yet?