Best Route to Avoid Tolls FL - BOS

Ask about or share your short cuts, alternate routes and side trips with fellow road warriors here.

Best Route to Avoid Tolls FL - BOS

Postby I95driver » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 am

So the EZ pass bill starting to bug me, $90 for last trip (did include a 2 day stayover in NYC which adds a bit)

Anyways, I've noticed the MD stretch and NJ seems to do the damage and looking for any alternates.

Anyways, here's a route I'm thinking and any advice would be appreciated

I-95 to DC then take US 50 to US 301 to DE Rt 1 back to I-95
(only toll is Bay Bridge which I think is $4 northbound only and maybe $1 on DE Rt 1)

Then stay on I-95 towards Philly. Take either the Walt Whitman or Delaware Memorial Bridge to I-295 then north to I-I-195 to NJP (only toll is the bridge which I think is $4 southbound only)

Then NJP to GW bridge uption New England (only toll is $9 from NJ into NY and few bucks say 7 on NJP) or traffic Verrzonos bridge through NYC to Whitstone Bridge then onto Hutch up into New England (only toll is $9 from NJ into NY and $4 whitstone and few bucks say 3 on NJP)

So total = $20ish northbound OR $10ish southbound which is a lot less than the last few years EZ pass statements show when I've just gone I-95 most of the way.

Thank you in advance for any tips
I95driver

Re: Best Route to Avoid Tolls FL - BOS

Postby SkyDude » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:48 am

For the last few years I have been using only a part of the NJ Pike, if it all, between I-195 and the GWB. I have been taking I-195 to NJ 29 then you can either pay about $1 the the toll bridge in Trenton over the state line, Delaware River, or a block away is the toll-free "Trenton Makes" bridge. US-1 Freeway from there connects directly to/from I-95 in PA.

Also in Delaware there is a way, several ways probably to beat the toll using local roads between one exit and the next. I'm sure all the locals do that.
SkyDude

Re: Best Route to Avoid Tolls FL - BOS

Postby njnorsky » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:26 pm

I know we all love I-95 but have you condsidered traveling a bit further inland if you want to avoid tolls? You can pick up I-26 in SC > I-77 > I-81 > I-78 (toll for crossing from PA into NJ) > I-287 > I-87 (toll for crossing Tappan Zee Bridge).
Once you're over the TZ bridge you can pick up I-95 again (or head up I-684 > I-84 (tolls in MA) > I-90 (toll road)).
I haven't added up the dollar difference in tolls but going this way you avoid all tolls in DE, MD and NJ.
However with the price of gas these days going a slightly longer route to avoid paying tolls may or may not make sense either. But it's always nice to know we have options.
Safe Trip!
njnorsky

Return to Are We There Yet?