Procurement of EZ Pass for Tolls

Join others in discussion, post your comments or questions on I-95 road, bridge and tunnel tolls.

Procurement of EZ Pass for Tolls

Postby Norman Katz » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:28 pm

Where can I obtain an enrollment form for the Deleware + EZPASS toll pass?
Norman Katz

Postby kb » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:29 pm

I may be old fashioned, but I remember when the Interstate system was born in 1955. The pledge to us lowly taxpayers was that the new system was to be built with gas tax money, and that there would NEVER be any tolls along any Interstate route. Why is it now legal to do that? What happened to the politicians promises? It isn't so much the money (well, really it is) but what happens to traffic. We witnessed a 5+ MILE delay a couple of years ago going the other way on a Memorial Day weekend. Those poor drivers must have waited an hour to pay some moron $1.25.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

There should never be tolls on Interstate Highways... we already paid once to build them!
kb

Postby lou » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:46 pm

Nobody wants to pay tolls period. However, with more and more cars on the road every year not to mention the population of the United States on the rise every year, there just isnt enough money to build new roads and rehabilitate the exisiting roads after doing desperate measures such as raising the highway gas tax, sales tax, etc. It is envitable that I-95 will have more tolls in the Southeast. North and South Carolina are already discussing plans of building up toll plazas through those states simply because I-95 in NC and SC are overused by out of state drivers and few in state drivers. In addition, I-95 is not served for NC/SC residents but out of state residents. there are no metropolitan areas that serve I-95 in NC and SC. Furthermore, why should the NCDOT and SCDOT be burdened to pay for the interstate that is not supported by additional revenue to maintain the I-95 corridor which is overused by out of staters, few in staters. Without the proposals right now to add tolls on I-95 to make improvement plans now, it will take 30 years to shelve out the money to add lanes and fund transportation projects related to I-95 to meet the demand. All drivers who use I-95, primarly the out of state motorists who use I-95, without a doubt, there MUST be tolls on I-95 for improvement plans to add lanes, fund transportation related projects related to I-95 only, improve traveler services, fund the state troopers, EMT's, fire department that serves I-95 for accidents and disasters that occasionally occur. Many deaths and injuries have occured on I-95 and the future is not looking any brighter until the State of NC and SC enact the tolls to rehab I-95! The mix of Northern, Southern, young, old, truckers, RV's, family vans and locals using I-95 equals up to a dangerous mix! The current status of I-95 is just so dangerous and congested, i do whatever it takes to avoid it from Southcentral North Carolina to Central N.J at all costs.
lou

DRBA EZ PASS

Postby SkyDude » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:12 pm

You can go right on line and get an EZ-Pass from DRBA.
It will alsso save you money on some tolls, particularly the NYC Hudson River tolls are either 4 or $5 instead of $6, depending on time, and others.
Try this: http://www.ezpassdrba.com/drba/index.html
SkyDude

Postby lou » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:27 pm

Ive had ezpass for 2 years now, its awsome
lou

Postby lou » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:02 am

Well well well, I-95 may be tolled in North Carolina. The NC legislature are seeking permission by the FHA to toll the 182 mile I-95 corridor between the Virginia-NC line and the NC-SC line. Anyways, here is the article from WRAL-TV(www.wral.com) in Raleigh.

N.C. Seeks To Turn Interstate 95 Into Toll Road
Tolls Would Target Out-Of State Drivers

POSTED: 10:18 a.m. EDT October 22, 2003
UPDATED: 10:34 a.m. EDT October 22, 2003

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The state Department of Transportation will seek federal permission to charge tolls on Interstate 95 to pay for the highway's $3 billion overhaul.

The Joint Legislative Transportation Oversight Committee on Tuesday agreed to authorize the department to seek the change on the main north-south interstate along the East Coast from the Federal Highway Administration.

A report prepared by a consultant hired by DOT said the state could pay for the facelift by charging drivers $18 to travel the road's entire 182 miles through eastern North Carolina.

Putting six tollbooths about 30 miles apart and collecting $3 at each would raise enough money over 30 years to widen I-95 to eight lanes, said Calvin Leggett, manager of DOT's program development branch. The plan would hit up out-of-state motorists while letting local residents make short trips for free, he said.

About half the vehicles on I-95 are from out-of-state, Leggett said.

"We can build this project within the next 25 years using tolls, and we don't have to increase taxes on the general public to do so," Leggett said.

Opponents said tolls would discourage tourism and would breed more tollbooths north and south of the North Carolina border.

"Virginia and South Carolina are going to find a way to tax our people," said Jane Pinsky, a lobbyist for the AAA Carolinas motor club.

Some legislators who support I-95 tolls want to shift more of the expense to out-of-state drivers. Sen. Tony Rand, a Fayetteville Democrat, said he would want toll booths only at the Virginia and South Carolina borders.

Leggett said only about half of motorists using the interstate would end up paying tolls if they were collected only at the state lines, down from about 70 percent under the six-booth scenario.

Most of I-95 in North Carolina is four lanes and built to design standards of the 1960s. Fatal crashes happen at twice the rate of any other North Carolina interstate.

The department wants to make I-95 an eight-lane highway with higher bridges, wider shoulders and longer ramps. But dipping into available highway money would delay other projects, Leggett said.

The department paid the consultant, PBS&J of Charlotte, about $200,000 to do the toll study.

If the state's application is approved, it would let North Carolina grab one of two spots remaining in a federal test program on putting tolls on existing interstate highways.

The state then would have to prepare a formal application and the General Assembly would have to rescind a law that prohibits tolls on existing roads. The legislature last year passed that provision at the same time it allowed a new turnpike authority to build three new toll roads.

The state wouldn't collect its first I-95 toll until 2013 at the earliest, Leggett said.

SOURCE: Associated Press, WRAL-TV Raleigh
lou

Return to Tolls