Weigh stations

I-95 has quite a interesting history. Its route continues to be the subject of much discussion and speculation. I-95 groupies unite!

Weigh stations

Postby rhody » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:13 pm

What is the deal with weigh stations? I am 35 years old and have never seen one in actual operation on the highway. I assume they were used at some point and for some reason are not needed anymore. Is that the case? The other confusing thing is that about 10-15 years ago they built a new weigh station on 95N in CT just over the line from NY and in all the times I have driven past it I have never seen it in use. Why did they spend the money on it and never use it?

I know this isn't a big deal but I would like to be able to answer my kids when they ask, "Dad, what is that weigh station for?".

thanks
rhody

Postby lacota » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:11 pm

Most are used on a random basis. They will be closed for days, then open at random times of the day. This is done to keep the truckers guessing. They are never sure when the station is open, thus keeping the logs, etc, up to date.
lacota

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:25 pm

The only thing is, many of these stations look like they haven't been used for anything in years and there are some that I drive by often and even if they were only open intermittently I would have seen them in operation at least once.

Weigh stations

Postby SkyDude » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:58 pm

I have seen the one on I-95 South in Maryland in use pretty much all the time. Another one in NJ on I-287, I've seen used just once in a while.
SkyDude

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:54 pm

Many have been converted to "Weigh-in-Motion" stations. Scales imbedded in the main roadway record vehicle weights. Enforcement is notified and they stop you up the road.

Return to I-95 Perspective