NY to FLA - best gas prices?

Travelers post their comments and questions about gas and fuel stops along I-95 here.

NY to FLA - best gas prices?

Postby bxnitro » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:18 am

I am driving from NYC to Port St. Lucie Florida. Going down I-95 and I would appreciate the best exits/stations for gas prices.
bxnitro

Postby lou » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:51 pm

Get a full tank leaving Florida. Try to get gas in Virginia if possible or at least GA to get filled up again.

GA generally has cheap gas prices.

SC. If you dont have to fill up then dont.

NC. Not high but not cheap. About average

SOUTHERN VIRGINIA and CENTRAL VIRGINIA (south of VA 207)
Gas there is cheap. Fill up there if you need to.

NORTHERN VIRGINIA, MARYLAND AND DELAWARE.
GAS is expensive.

PENNSLYVANIA (If not using the NJ Turnpike until after Exit 7A or 9)
Very expensive there

New Jersey:
Gas is cheap there

New York:
Try to avoid filling up there at all costs.

Word of advise. Shop around off the I-95 exits for gas. Just because you see the first gas station dosent mean thats gas to grab for. Look around. Florence Exits (US 52 for example) do this a lot. The closest gas station is 10 cents higher than other ones half mile down the road or even across the highway.
lou

halfway point

Postby mrs c » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:55 pm

Hello,
We must travel from Clementon New Jersey to the midway point between here and Conway, South Carolina. We must travel on rte 95. Do you know the midpoint between the two? Is there a rest stop in at that point?
I got the driving direction from yahoo maps.

Linda Clemons
gcll2000@comcast.net
mrs c

Postby boston boy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:16 pm

Your halfway point would be in the area between Richmond and the North Carolina border -- just a little south of Petersburg, VA, in point of distance (around 300 miles of a 590 mile trip).

HOWEVER -- keep in mind that all of the grueling travel - the traffic-laden traffic - is in that first 250 miles or so. You go through Delaware, the Baltimore and Washington areas, Fredricksburg, and Richmond. So if you are going to stop "halfway" - you might want to get through Fredricksburg, and stop north of Richmond.

If at all possible, avoid the Balt-Wash area during afternoon or morning rush. There is a bypass around Richmond.
boston boy

Postby lou » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:43 pm

In my mind, the midway point would be roughly between Emporia and Jarrat in southern Virginia between Petersburg and the NC border. North of the halfway point, hotel/Restaurant accomdations are best at Exit 61 which is VA 10 in Hopewell (a few miles before Petersburg) and then theres the Petersburg Mall area i believe has hotels but definatly has restaurants.

Getting to the halfway point and a bit more south is Emporia at US 58 which has hotels/restaurants. If you can make it a bit more south into NC, stopping at US 158 in Roanoke Rapids would be another option which has hotel/restaurants.
lou

Gas inMyrtle Beach

Postby The Traveler » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:55 am

The Sam's Club has gas at 199.9 a gallon as of Sunday. Also there is a web site that has a listing of Wal Mart/Sam's Clubs that have gas stations. Check outEastCoastRVing-Traveling@yahoogroups.com
The Traveler

Postby snowdog » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:45 pm

There are a lot of websites dedicated to keeping you informed about gas prices www.gasbuddy.com/ and www.usastar.com/i95/gasprice.htm are a couple of examples
snowdog

Return to Gas/Fuel Stops