Traffic Updates on the Radio

Ask about or share your short cuts, alternate routes and side trips with fellow road warriors here.

Traffic Updates on the Radio

Postby Family Traveller » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 pm

Leaving for Wilmington, NC from LI the Fri or Sat before Thanksgiving. Not sure if we're going 95 thru Balt/WA or taking 301 around, we'll make that decision on traffic @ the time. Does anyone know what radio stations broadcast traffic reports for 95 & 301?
Family Traveller

Postby lou » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:10 pm

NYC obviously 880 AM WCBS and 1010 AM WINZ

Central NJ: 101.5 FM (New Jersey 101.5)

South Jersey/Phila: KYW 1060 AM and NJ 101.5

Washington-Baltimore: 1500 AM and/or 107.7 FM WTOP Radio
lou

this list should be highlighted for everyone

Postby ncdriver » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:18 am

I can never remember the right stations. It's fun to listen to 880am (or any distant am station) late at night in Virginia, but it doesn't help you with that DC traffic . . .
ncdriver

Traffic

Postby BJRys » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:53 am

For anybody that has XM Satelite Radio available to them, I highly recomend it for the 95 trip. It has instant traffic and weather stations for each major city you will travel through, and the variety is excelent. It certainly made my trip much more enjoyable.

Brendan
BJRys

Traffic on radio

Postby Vtster » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:17 am

I also just barely started using Satellite radio... Sirius for me. It has all of the major cities. I drove from VT to Myrtle Beach last Friday, and returned on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I made the decision to try 301 for the 1st time, because of the traffic reports for Washington and Baltimore that I was listening to in North Carolina. I highly recommend Sirius or XM to frequent travellers.

On the 301 note... it was my 1st time, and I hit La Plata during Rush hour on Wednesday. Other then that, I was really happy with the road, with the exceptions of more cops then on 95. I figure I saved myself a couple of hours of sitting in traffic between Washington and Baltimore. I would have never tried it, if it wasn't for this board... so thanks everyone!
Vtster

Postby ifrasnyjrt » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:29 pm

http://www.radio-locator.com
that gives you alist of every radio station in america and canda, AM and FM. you should be able to find the stations you need for each major city you drive through on I95. it kinda takes long cause you gotta go through each city and write down each station dial number. but at least you'll know ahead of time if you'll be stuck in traffic for an obscene amount of time so you can bypass the losers who didn't here the traffic and blow rasberries as you drive by them.
ifrasnyjrt

1010 NYC

Postby guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:52 pm

lou wrote:NYC obviously 880 AM WCBS and 1010 AM WINZ

1010 AM in NYC is WINS

btw all are great radio stations for traffic
and south of DC traffic is not much of a problem until Jacksonville.

Re: 1010 NYC

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:34 pm

WCBS 880 = traffic on the 8's
WINS 1010= traffic on the 1's

NYC area radio traffic reports

Postby SkyDude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:26 pm

WCBS 880 = traffic on the 8's
WINS 1010= traffic on the 1's
add
WBBR1 130 = traffic on the 5's

You pass WBBR's transmitter in the big wilderness outside NYC in between the 2 spurs if the NJ Pike N of RT 3 and before US 46. It's one of those 50kw powerhouses too.

I was there last week.
GK
SkyDude

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:19 am

I find that an inexpensive C.B radio gives me realtime trafic conditions from the pro's the truckers..

Next

Return to Are We There Yet?