NJ Turnpike or I-295?

Ask about or share your short cuts, alternate routes and side trips with fellow road warriors here.

NJ Turnpike or I-295?

Postby guest/charko » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:59 am

Besides saving a few? bucks what is the difference in taking the NJ turnpike to exit 1 and taking I-295 at 7?
guest/charko

Postby lou » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:56 pm

I-295 serves local traffic for south jersey residents.
- travel I-295 if the NJ Turnpike is badly backed up. You also have I-95 and/or US 1 on the Penna side too.

NJ Turnpike serves mainly regional traffic with few exits. North of Exit 7A becomes more local AND regional traffic.
- If money is not a problem, the NJ Turnpike is obviously the fastest way. 1060 AM in South Jersey, Central NJ(also Phila and NY bridge/tunnel crossings) for NJ 101.5, 880 WCBS for NYC/North Jersey are good in handy if you need traffic reports.
lou

I95 vs 295

Postby guest » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:29 pm

I've been on I95 in traffic and look over to 295 and long to be on that road. Mostly it depends on when you travel. The last 30 miles of I95 is a two lane road where it can be stop and go until the Delaware Bridge.

NJTP

Postby guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:58 pm

I used to avoid NJTP like the plague reasoning that if I could avoid any toll it would be worth it. I used tyo get on at exit 10-Outerbridge and get off at 7A and then take US130 to I-295. But in reality that route sucks.

I once tried the real I-95 thru Philly and got stuck in rush-hour traffic.

Turnpike is the best route thru NJ, but the speeds are high, traffic is high and tolls are well not so high.

I actually now get on at exit 13 - Goethals bridge as that is best route from Long Island IMHO.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:17 am

Jersey Turnpike every time,no delays ,no cities and cost $5 ?

I avoid it usually

Postby SkyDude » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:55 am

I avoid the Pike as much as possible usually, just for personal choice. Sometimes if it's late at night I'll take it down to the end, esp if my work is paying for it.
The "guest" who mentioned coming from Staten Island, you can get on the WestShore Epxy (NY440) in SI and take that down to the Outerbridge which gets you back on the Pike around Exit 10. That avoids some of it. Then if I was driving myself, I'd usually jump off at Exit 7A and got towards Trenton & Pennsy and get on I-95, the real one.
SkyDude

Postby lou » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:33 pm

GUEST WROTE

.....The last 30 miles of I95 is a two lane road where it can be stop and go until the Delaware Bridge

You got it wrong.

a 2 lane road is a road thats one lane each direction

you meant 4 lane. 2 lanes each direction
lou

Return to Are We There Yet?