The Virginia Department of Transportation announced that bridge demolition work at the Fall Hill Avenue overpass in Fredericksburg will close several lanes of Interstate 95 northbound this week at night, weather permitting, so crews can dismantle the closed bridge.
The Fall Hill Avenue overpass is located at mile marker 131 on I-95, which is just north of Exit 130 (Route 3/Fredericksburg).
I-95 travelers are advised to use Route 1 northbound to avoid delays. Message boards on I-95 will provide advance notice of lane closures and detour routes.
Lane closures have been scheduled at the following times and dates:
Sunday, March 13
- Interstate 95 northbound – Two lanes closed 10 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
thru Monday, March 14
- Interstate 95 northbound – Two lanes closed 9 p.m. – 4:30 a.m. thru Tuesday, March 15
- Interstate 95 northbound – Two lanes closed 9 p.m. – 4:30 a.m. thru Wednesday, March 16
- Interstate 95 northbound – Two lanes closed 9 p.m. – midnight
- Full interstate closure for intermittent 30-minute intervals between midnight and 3 a.m. to remove bridge beams. Traffic will be released between closures. Two lanes closed 3 a.m. – 4:30 a.m.
Thursday, March 17
- Interstate 95 northbound – Two lanes closed 9 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
Virginia State Police are assisting with traffic control in the work zone.
VDOT awarded a $30.7 million design-build contract to widen Fall Hill Avenue in April 2014. Construction began in February 2015, and work will be completed in January 2017.
Fall Hill Avenue is being widened to four lanes with a raised median from Carl D. Silver Parkway (Central Park) to just west of the bridge over the Rappahannock Canal.
In February, traffic was moved onto the first half of the new Fall Hill Avenue overpass bridging I-95. Once the old bridge is demolished, construction will begin on the second half of the new overpass.
For more I-95 information, visit www.i95exitguide.com, the Internet’s largest and most complete website devoted to America’s Interstate Main Street. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Maine to Florida!