I-95 Discussion Forums

Welcome to the I-95 Community Forums!

Please feel free to take a look around. All you need to do to start participating in our online community (posting questions, answering other posts, etc.) is to register a forum account.

It’s easy, and free to register. Just click the link below. Once you do, you’ll receive an email verifying your registration so please make sure to use a valid email address.

Any Bridges on I-95 from Summerville SC to Stuart, Florida?  

RSS
(@susanfleury1214)

Is anyone completely familiar with a drive from Summerville, South Carolina to Stuart, Florida on I-95? I have a bridge phobia and this will be my first time making this trip. Appreciate any info!

Edited: 2 weeks  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2018 7:07 pm
(@bossmann)
Eminent Member

Hi, i've done the 95 trip from NY to south Florida a number of times, so i had to check where Summerville was in the big picture of S.C.. I did the memory run through, as well as looked at the maps and there are parts of 95 that cross water (not to be confused with what we probably think of when we think of bridges).

When you cross from Georgia into Florida you do go over a river but if you were driving it would just look like you were continuing along 95, nothing to really let you know you were crossing the river other than an incline at the beginning and decline on the Florida side.

In the Jacksonville area there is another river to cross and to me it feels the same way as earlier, it seems more of a wide 3+ lane highway (but again no towering pillars holding up cables or anything like that.). There is a bridge like looking structure that i can honestly say i don't recall if it actually goes over water, because it is before the bay area of Jacksonville, and there are buildings and such as you are driving on it.

So aside from those there are some small things that i really wouldn't call bridges (really couldn't even call a causeway), they just span a small swampy area for instance. While i don't have a phobia of bridges i am really stretching now trying to help by thinking of problem areas for you, and honestly i can't think of any real issues.

I hope i somehow alleviated any concerns/worries you might be feeling, because although it is a long drive, it is also an enjoyable one.

Safe trip!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 8:40 pm
(@i-95-exit-guide)
Member Admin

Ditto bossman. There are many bridges and causeways along I-95, but I can't think of any on the order of the Tappan Zee or Delaware Memorial Bridge. 

If you take I-295 around Jacksonville, you'll go over either the Henry H. Buckman Bridge or the Dames Point Bridge over the St. Johns River. These may give you a little distress... so just stick to I-95 and you should be OK.

Click the links in the text above to see photos of the bridges. Have a safe trip!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 11:30 pm
(@susanfleury1214)

Thank you so much, I appreciate your effort.  It's not just the water, its seeing this structure on cables up ahead that can give me a panic attack.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2018 7:53 am
(@susanfleury1214)

Thank you. I clicked the link on the bridges in Jax, I couldn't drive over those.  Someone told me the opposite to get off I95 and  take 295S to  avoid the bridges in Jax

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2018 7:56 am
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register