I-95 Discussion Forums

Welcome to the I-95 Community Forums!

Please feel free to take a look around. All you need to do to start participating in our online community (posting questions, answering other posts, etc.) is to register a forum account.

It’s easy, and free to register. Just click the link below. Once you do, you’ll receive an email verifying your registration so please make sure to use a valid email address.

Daytime Driving Traffic  

RSS
(@engine192)

I will be leaving Long Island on Thursday 6/28 at 12 noon. Last year I left at 10:00 pm and no traffic with a 2 yr. old and a 6 yr. old. What traffic will I be hitting last year I hit no traffic at all, should I wait till night or just go and get as far as I can before rush hour then take a break. I will be going straight through. Any opinions on this will be greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2018 10:14 am
(@bossmann)
Eminent Member

I'll toss my opinion in here. I too travel from Long Island (Nassau south shore), and always do the night drive with the same results you have had, ie. no traffic.

My take is that if you leave at noon as you've said, that should mean from Baltimore south you should be hitting rush hour, which doesn't sound like fun to me especially with your young travel partners. I know the thought of doing the night drive doesn't even enter some folks minds as a possibility, but when you don't have to worry about traffic jams, whether at toll plazas or bridges (Woodrow Wilson in DC for example) and combine that the two kids with you will probably be quietly counting sheep for this first leg of the trip, would pretty much seal the deal for me.

I usually leave around 9-10 pm and by am I'm on the Jersey Turnpike at just about exactly 1 hour into the trip, and from then on its clean and green passing all the other cities well before their morning rush.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Have a safe trip!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2018 10:18 am
(@burt68)
Eminent Member

I agree with Bossman. If you did the trip overnight last time and had no issues, I would repeat it. Too much rush hour traffic through Baltimore/DC area.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2018 10:20 am
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register