I-95/I-40 Construction in North Carolina Require Ramp Closures, Detours

I-95 Construction | Rocky Mount North Carolina | I-95 Exit Guide

Beginning Wednesday, August 8, motorists who travel through the I-40/I-95 interchange may encounter overnight detours for some of the ramps.

The detours are necessary because an N.C. Department of Transportation contract crew will begin improving the driving surface of the two Interstate 40 bridges that go over Interstate 95 in southern Johnston County. The bridge work will require one lane in each direction of I-40 be closed.

Those nightly lane closures, however, will extend the work zone into the following three ramps, which will be closed to traffic from roughly 11 p.m. Wednesday until 5 the next morning and for the same period Thursday night.

In each case, the detour will send traffic along the freeway to the next exit, where motorists will get off and immediately re-enter the highway to go in the opposite direction to reach their intended destinations:

• On I-40 West, exit 328A will be closed during the bridge work. Traffic should continue west, take exit 325 and go on I-40 East to exit 328A to reach I-95 South.
  • On I-40 East, exit 328B will be closed. Traffic should continue east, take exit 334 and go in the opposite direction on I-40 West to exit 328B to reach I-95 North.
  • On I-95 South, exit 81B will be closed. Motorists should continue south on I-95 and take exit 79, then go on I-95 North to exit 81 to reach I-40 West.

Because the work requires dry weather, the closures may extend into the following week. Additional ramps at this interchange will temporarily close overnight later this year for the same work.

Motorists are encouraged to pay attention when approaching the work zone, obey the posted speed limit, follow posted detours, and allow extra time to reach their destinations safely.

The project also includes rehabilitating several I-40 overpasses: The decks on 10 bridges will be replaced with a more durable concrete material that reduces long-term maintenance costs, and four bridges will be sandblasted and get fresh coats of paint. Some of the bridges’ substructure will be repaired.

The project is scheduled to be completed by next summer.

For more I-95 construction and travel information, visit  www.i95exitguide.com, the Internet’s largest and most complete website devoted to I-95, America’s Interstate Main Street. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Maine to Florida! Plus I-95 construction, real-time traffic and road news.

Traveling another route? Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit GuideI-5 Exit Guide,  I-10 Exit Guide , and I-75 Exit Guide.

I-95 Exit Guide
The I-95 Exit Information Guide is one of the most popular travel destinations on the Internet. This website features detailed listings for exit services all along Interstate 95, from Maine to Florida.