I-95 Discussion Forums

Welcome to the I-95 Community Forums!

Please feel free to take a look around. All you need to do to start participating in our online community (posting questions, answering other posts, etc.) is to register a forum account.

It’s easy, and free to register. Just click the link below. Once you do, you’ll receive an email verifying your registration so please make sure to use a valid email address.

Remember the Traffic Lights on I-95  

RSS
 Burt
(@burt)

Does anyone else remember a traffic light on 95 in the early 80's? I would think it was before the Interstate was finished.

We lived in New Jersey and had family in Florida so we spent a lot of summers on the "Big Road". Might just be a mistake on my part but figured I would ask. Thanks, Burt.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2018 4:35 pm
(@i-95-exit-guide)
Member Admin

There were uncompleted sections of I-95 in Virginia and the Carolinas in the 70's and early 80's. The connecting routes often had traffic lights. I remember several in Fayetteville.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2018 4:36 pm
 Burt
(@burt)

Thanks! I remember riding in the "way-back" of the station wagon on trips in the early and mid 70's. No A/C, parents in the front, 2 brothers and sister in the middle and me stuck in the "way-back" of the Ford LTD station wagon...Lol... It was always HOT... Then dad realized the back window went down partway... Lol...

Thanks again for the information.

P.S. Anyone know of a site that has I-95 history? Such as when different parts were started and finished?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2018 4:38 pm
(@susanlovesthei95)

I also remember the traffic lights on I 95. Also mentioned which I remember driving along the I 95 in Va and NC when certain sections weren't finish and we had to drive on the I 95 and off. The memories. It sure feels like it was just yesterday! Our first trip to Myrtle Beach. Also South of The Border was hopping at the time. There was even a traffic police directing traffic when you got off I- 95. Does anyone remember this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2018 4:40 pm
(@bostonboy)
Trusted Member

I traveled down to Florida by car several times in the 1970s and even remember on a 1979 trip that I-95 was not completed in a short stretch of North Carolina. You got off, went down a ~ 20 mile stretch of four-lane, and got back on I-95 again.

Also, one road, notorious on the AAA "Triptiks" with "STRICT TRAFFIC LAW ENFORCEMENT" -- was the Petersburg, Virginia area. I recall it being four-lane but not limited access.

I'm now getting on in years. Back in our twenties, we didn't have the cars with the reliability of those we have today.

GPS, cell phones, 800 numbers for hotel reservations, cruise control, comfortable bucket seats, steel belted radial tires, and quick self-serve gas stations are things we now take for granted, and those were either non-existent, or luxuries back in the 1970s.

But the trip itself was a large part of the "vacation destination". Driving down I-95 exposed many of us to things we had never seen before. We saw different restaurant chains, different gasoline brands, Union 76 truckstops, palm trees, barbecue joints, and most of all, the migration from cold winter weather to spring-like conditions.

In the late 1970s, gasoline was $1.30 a gallon and while that might seem a paltry price today, if you had a family, a $16,000 per annum income and a car that only got 18 mpg, it was substantial.

But the trip was still an annual highlight, and I still recall the excitement of the alarm going off at 5 am and realizing that it's time to head down the big road.

bostongirl and I were talking, that we may consider driving to Florida for our annual November trip. I have more vacation time, and a Volkswagen Jetta diesel, it's just the trip back that's worrisome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2018 4:43 pm
(@i-95-exit-guide)
Member Admin

No seat belts or child seats either!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2018 4:44 pm
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register