I-95 Discussion Forums

Welcome to the I-95 Community Forums!

Please feel free to take a look around. All you need to do to start participating in our online community (posting questions, answering other posts, etc.) is to register a forum account.

It’s easy, and free to register. Just click the link below. Once you do, you’ll receive an email verifying your registration so please make sure to use a valid email address.

Where is South of the Border?  

RSS
(@vettathompson)

My friend is visiting from Pennsylvania. She left this morning at 10am. She just called at 8pm and said that she was in the South of the Border. Where is that? And by the way her destination is Jacksonville, FL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:04 pm
(@george-kowal)

South of the Border is just South of the North Carolina/ South Carolina border line. It was discussed in a different post here recently. I remember the closest town as Dillon, SC.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:06 pm
 Lisa
(@lisa)

Is there anything to see/do at the South the Border?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:09 pm
(@garylynk)

If you stay there, either motel or campground, there is the pleasure dome, indoor pool, steam room hot tub, etc.several outside pools. they have lots of game rooms, mini golf, train rides etc. lots of shopping (mostly junk shops, t shirts etc ) 5 eating places. not really a theme park but an overgrown roadside attraction. plenty to keep you busy for a few hours.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:11 pm
(@kris-barger)

South of the Border is a regular stop for our family when we trek to Walt Disney World each year.Not only is it an interesting place that kids and adults enjoy, but its EXTREMELY reasonable in price, and easy to get to. We also enjoy reading all of the comical signs along I-95. They start somewhere around 300 miles away, and become more frequent as you get further south. SOTB is a great way to spice up a long car ride!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:14 pm
 Tom
(@tom)

When I was a kid and my family would drive from Boston to Miami Beach me and my sister would beg my parents to stop at South of the Border but they always said no it's a tourist trap. Now that I am older with my own child we stopped on our way back from Disney World. Sorry to say but WHAT A DUMP! I couldn't wait to stop and have lunch and look around but the place was so dirty and my husband took my son to the bathroom and said he would have rather found a nice tree. The burger I got was good but the restaurant was filthy as was the surroundings. We ate jumped back in the car and left didn't even take a picture! The best part of South of the Border is looking at all the billboards on the way there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:17 pm
 lou
(@lou)
Eminent Member

If you ain't buyin fireworks and cigarettes and you wanna make a stop at a hotel/motel for the night... stay away.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:22 pm
(@onthepike)

Personally, South of the Border works if you have small restless children who need a break. It's colorful, bright (neon-lit at night, pastel during the day) and affords simple and cheap "distraction entertainment" for the kids. Plus, you'll have the opportunity to own a SOB bumper sticker like the rest of the world. LOL!

Other than that, I agree with everyone who's posted. You won't want to make SOB a main destination, but to take the kids minds off the drive and give them something fun to do for an hour or more, SOB may be the cure.

Cleanest SOB restroom: I've found that the restrooms inside the main souvineer shop (opposite Pedro's Coffee Shop/Game Room) is the cleanest and fullest stocked restroom in SOB.

HTH

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:25 pm
(@jane-in-florida)

I fondly remember my dad stopping at South of the Border when we took car trips from New England to Florida in the early to mid 70's. The last time I was there was years ago as an adult with a group of friends as a pitstop on a road trip. What a blast! We loved the tackiness of it all! So it may not be real clean, but neither is New York City, but we love them both! I'm now in my 50's and my family is planning a weekend roadtrip to South of the Border. For my husband and I, it will be pure nostalgia-for our daughter-a whimsical, tacky, one of a kind , legendary , roadside enigma! Also- the giftshop is awsome! Stuff you'll never find anywhere else! I think everyone should visit it at least once! Jane in Florida

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:29 pm
(@bostonboy)
Trusted Member

Jane, I agree with you --- South of the Border is a mandatory stop -- well, at least once in a lifetime, you have to stop there.

I last stopped and spent time when my daughter had a friend in tow who had never been outside of New England.

Fireworks were , at one time, the big incentive to stop but now that they are legal in New Hampshire we don't haul fireworks up and down the coast anymore.

SOB - the place to be - at least once.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:31 pm
(@ifrasnyjrt)
Posted by: Tom

The best part of South of the Border is looking at all the billboards on the way there!

That is so true! I remember the first time I went to Florida I was excited to see SOB cause when my parents were planning it they had friends tell them all this great stuff about it. We were all disappointed when we got there and found it disgusting and so not what we expected! And a friend of mine said the motel wasn't pretty at all! Every time we've been to Florida after that we never stop there. My mother just took a picture of it at night from the road.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:37 pm
(@karen-from-ny)

I have been to Disney over 10 times by car the last being 10 years ago. We always stop at South of the Boarder. We stay in Dillon, SC and then go to SOTB to play mini golf and eat dinner in one of the restaurants on the main road. It is tacky but I have too many fond memories of it to hate it. We will be going back this summer and I am looking forward to it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:40 pm
(@i-95-exit-guide)
Member Admin

Here's a link to the official "South of The Border" website:

http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2018 4:41 pm
(@i95-traveler)

Ah South of the Border.... such a cheesy tourist trap! Yet, it has this pull, like, I must stop there for a driving break. And usually, I'm stopping to fill up my tank with gas. 

I do remember one year, my friend and I decided to check out some of the stores. I remember one store, full of fireworks, smelling like chlorine. Thought I was in a pool store LOL. We eventually went over to the main store. I walked away with a South of the Border bumper sticker. Gosh darn if I know where it is today. Think I may have to stop and buy another one. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2018 4:42 pm
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register