South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster held a media briefing with state emergency response officials to provide an update on the potential impact of Hurricane Irma on South Carolina.
- 2,081 SCDOT maintenance personnel on duty clearing roads
- 164 road closures in 10 counties
- 746 National Guardsmen on duty
- 100 Extra State Troopers on the roads assisting local law enforcement
- 101 State Guardsmen on duty
- 369 SLED, PPP, DNR agents on duty
- 25 shelters open, 885 evacuees sheltered as of noon today
- 25 County governments closed today
- 33 Counties with school districts closed today.
For a full and updated list of open shelters with availability, visit SCEMD’s website.
Power outages: There are over 140,000 power outages across the state with the largest number of outages concentrated in Charleston, Beaufort, Berkeley, Lexington and Richland Counties. There are as many as 8,000 linemen working to restore power to South Carolinians at any given time from SCE&G, The Electric Cooperatives and Duke Energy.
For a comprehensive list of those county office and school closings, visit SCEMD’s website.