The Connecticut Department of Transportation is announcing the start of construction activities for the rehabilitation of Bridge 00196 carrying I-95 north and south over Route 1 in Branford. To facilitate the required work, a closure and detour of Exit 55 on and off-ramps on I-95 north and south will be necessary. This closure is anticipated to begin in early April and last until approximately August 1, 2020. Additional notifications will be issued prior to the ramp closures.
The project consists of the partial replacement of the bridge over US Route 1 utilizing Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) techniques. The project also consists of the realignment of Route 1 as well as the relocation of utilities. The purpose of the project is to address the structural deficiencies of the bridge and to widen Route 1 to alleviate congestion.
In addition to the scheduled closure of Exit 55 on and off-ramps, travel lanes on I-95 in the vicinity of the bridge will be reduced in width, and roadway shoulders will be minimized to maintain two travel lanes in each direction.
Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur on:
- Monday through Wednesday between 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
- Thursday between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
- Friday between 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
- Saturday between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- Sunday between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
- Monday through Tuesday between 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
- Wednesday through Friday between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
- Saturday between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- Sunday between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
U.S. Route 1:
- Monday through Friday between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
This project is scheduled for overall completion on October 2, 2020.
For more I-95 travel information, visit www.i95exitguide.com, the Internet’s largest and most complete website devoted to I-95, America’s Interstate Main Street. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Maine to Florida! Plus I-95 construction, real-time traffic and road news.
Traveling another route? Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide , and I-75 Exit Guide.