The North Carolina Department of Transportation will suspend most construction work on major routes across the state to reduce delays during the busy holiday travel season, but drivers should watch out for continued lane closures that could cause backups around a few highway projects.
Travel lanes will stay open from 6:00 a.m. Friday, December 22, through 8:00 p.m. Tuesday, January 2, around most construction projects on interstate, U.S. and N.C. highways .
Travelers are urged to use caution and obey the posted speed limits when traveling through work zones, even if no construction activity is taking place. Law enforcement officers across North Carolina will set up checkpoints and step up patrols to catch drivers who violate traffic laws during the holidays.
Here are more tips for safe driving during the holiday season:
- Leave early to get a head start, and travel at non-peak hours if possible.
- Use alternative routes if possible to avoid traffic congestion.
- Allow extra time for your trip, regardless of the route you choose.
- To avoid drowsy driving, travel at times you are normally awake and take frequent breaks.
- Avoid distracted driving.
- Use your seat belt.
For more I-95 travel info, visit www.i95exitguide.com, the Internet’s largest and most complete website devoted to I-95, America’s Interstate Main Street. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Maine to Florida! Plus I-95 construction, real-time traffic and road news.